Reflection

For assignment 3, we created a descriptive video that demonstrates our ability to perform different design techniques, video recording and editing skills, and tools promoting inclusive learning to demonstrate our understanding of multimedia learning principles. Since I did not have a preexisting video that matched the criteria for this assignment, I decided to create a video that included the major learning principles and themes we have observed thus far. More specifically, I applied instructional design throughout my project by analyzing the different needs of learners, defining the learning objective at the start of the video, ensuring inclusivity tools, and evaluating the effectiveness of the instructions before uploading my final product. I included these tools and methods by: 

• Talking directly to the camera when creating an introduction (explaining the purpose and aim of the video) and a conclusion (clarifying the end of the recipe and encouraging waters to try it themselves). I felt that focussing my attention towards the camera during these moments would increase the learner’s sense of connection and comfort towards the instructor and the matter presented. 
  • Deciding to record a voiceover and adding it to the video alongside the visual demonstration of the baking process. When creating my voice recording, I made sure that my verbal descriptions matched my actions and focused on keeping a slow and consistent pace for clarity purposes. 
  • Including closed captioning to enhance inclusivity and accessibility for all viewers. Before publishing my video, I altered the closed captioning that TikTok applied automatically to make sure it followed proper grammatical rules, had correct punctuation, ensured proper capitalization, and provided a legible font. 
  • Providing descriptive writing to indicate the ingredients I was using by displaying an ingredient list at the start of the recipe as well as the individual ingredients when incorporating them. These lists allow time for viewers to pause the video and prepare the ingredients they will need for the cake and icing. 
  • Using colours as tools to bring the learner’s attention towards each new “chapter” of the baking process. Colour contrasts facilitate the learners distinction between the cake and icing recipes and highlight the importance of specific segments. 

Reflecting on my experience, I noticed I paid conscious attention to Mayer’s (2014) principles for reducing extraneous processing. More specifically, I tried to remain coherent, use signalling, ensure contingency, and avoid redundancy when creating my video (Mayer, 2014, pp. 279-315). Additionally, I constructed my projects following Merrill’s (2002) three key takeaways to ensure effective teaching. These include understanding that teaching is not only about telling but must include showing, teachers must allow students the opportunity to practice, and students must be equipped with proper motivation by applying learning topics to real-world problems (Merrill, 2002, pp.43-59). Overall, I enjoyed this creative project and obtained an enhanced familiarity with multimedia tools and techniques.

Mayer, R. E. (Ed.). (2014). Principles for Reducing Extraneous Processing in Multimedia Learning, from The Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning (2nd ed.). Cambridge University Press. pp 279 – 315. Retrieved March 17, 2023, from https://edtechuvic.ca/edci337/2023/01/14/w2-how-do-we-learn/

Merrill, M. D. (2002). First Principles of Instruction. ETR&D, 50, 3. pp. 43-59Retrieved March 17, 2023, from https://edtechuvic.ca/edci337/2023/01/14/w2-how-do-we-learn/